Sunday, September 14, 2008

Good Reading for English Speakers

Machetera has done the English speaking world a service by translating the following reports on the Massacre of El Porvenir.

Bolivia: Death Toll Reaches 30 in Massacre. Government Unable to Capture Fugitive Prefect

106 Missing in Cobija; Commission Begins Search

How the Massacre in Porvenir Happened


So how long will the western press ignore what actually happened and who's really responsible? forever...?

While you're at it also check out her translations of articles covering Goldberg's expulsion and fascist coup attempt in Santa Cruz.

Expelling Goldberg is a “Big Mistake,” Says United States


Bolivia’s Government Denounces the Fascist Coup Which Has Begun in Santa Cruz

The Bolivian Government Declares the U.S. Ambassador Philip Goldberg Persona Non Grata

3 comments:

Anonymous said...

AB,

Can you speak to the allegations made by some in the Bolivian media that the army is banning them from reporting from Pando while allowing the state run media in the department, is this true? Also, the governor of Pando has argued that the government has not proceeded with an independent investigation of what happened. SInce the government is still trying to establish order I don't think this is a fair criticism, but do you know if there are plans for some type of independent inquiry OR is the evidence so clear that such an investigation is not necessary? Thanks.

Will

http://www.laprensa.com.bo/noticias/15-09-08/15_09_08_poli6.php

El Duderino said...

Will,
I'll tell you what I find. But you'll probably be able to tell me. :) But I'll tell you my bias, I'm usually not too sympathetic towards Bolivia's corporate journalists. If you've spent anytime with them, you'd know what I mean.

Anonymous said...

AB,

Thanks for the post on the RSF report. I have been doing research on Bolivia and I am still trying to absorb as much information as I can find. I am skepitcal of the corporate media in any country, but I didn't have a sense of the degree that the media in Bolivia is allied with the opposition. For example, are they actively censoring news/commentary that would benefit the government while spending all of their time promoting the cause of the opposition as they do in Venezuela? Venezuela's media environment is extremely polarized, its either the opposition press or the government press and nothing in between. Is this a fair way of describing the media situation in Bolivia? You don't have to answer these questions if you don't have the time as I need to get to work on answering these questions for myself. Again thanks.

Will